NYSLRS

We’re Here for You: Doing Business with NYSLRS from Home

To protect the health of our members and employees, our NYSLRS consultation site offices are closed until at least March 30, 2020. The best method for customers who wish to submit documents and conduct business with us is through Retirement Online. There you can complete an estimate, update your information, and even file for retirement.

All customers with previously scheduled appointments are being contacted and offered phone consultations. If you would like to schedule a phone consultation, or have retirement-related questions, you can contact us at 1-866-805-0990 (518-474-7736 in the Albany, NY area) or email us using our secure contact form.

Our NYSLRS’ essential staff continue to do Retirement System work. We are processing mail and applications, answering phone calls and responding to emails during this time.

Doing Business with NYSLRS from Home

What Can You Do in Retirement Online?

Retirement Online gives you an easy and secure way to review your NYSLRS benefit information and conduct transactions in real time. In many cases, you can use Retirement Online instead of sending forms through the mail or calling NYSLRS. Here’s a quick look at some of its features:

• Update Contact Information
    Do you have a new mailing address, email address or phone number? Make sure NYSLRS can get in touch with you by updating your contact information.
  • Update Your Beneficiary Information
    You can designate beneficiaries for your death benefits, and also make updates to existing beneficiaries.
  • Create a Pension Verification Letter or Mortgage Letter
    If you’re a retiree and need to provide proof of your retirement income, you can generate and print an income verification letter from your account. If you’re a member and need to verify your retirement account information, you can generate and print a mortgage letter when you need it.
  • Update Your Last Name
    If you changed your last name recently, you can change it online instead of submitting a Name Change form.
  • Change Your Correspondence Preference
    Would you prefer to receive emails from NYSLRS instead of mail? You can update your correspondence preference and receive an email notification from NYSLRS whenever we have updated information to send you. (Please note that some information, such as tax forms, will be sent by mail for security purposes.)
  • Estimate Your Pension (Members Only)
    You can estimate your pension benefit based on up-to-date account information, then save or print the estimate for your records.
  • Manage Loan and Service Credit Payments (Members Only)
    Need to pay back a loan or purchase service credit? You can adjust your payment amount or make a lump sum payment.
  • Apply for Retirement
    Ready to retire? You can file your service retirement application right from home.
  • Apply for a Loan (Members Only)
    Eligible members can apply online to take a loan out against their NYSLRS contributions.

If you need help with Retirement Online, please refer to our Retirement Online Tools and Tips blog post.

Other Ways to Get NYSLRS Information

Our Contact Us page contains helpful information and answers to questions you may have about your NYSLRS membership.

You can also receive NYSLRS updates by following us on Facebook and Twitter.

Thank you for your patience and understanding as NYSLRS works to prevent the community transmission of the coronavirus (COVID-19) while continuing to do its essential work.

14 thoughts on “We’re Here for You: Doing Business with NYSLRS from Home

1. Mark DiPirro

I retired in January 2019 (police & Fire). I have yet to get my final pension number. Will the Coronavirus situation delay my final salary determination even further than it already has?

To check on the status of your final determination, please email our customer service representatives using the secure email form on our website (http://www.emailNYSLRS.com). One of them will review your account and respond to your questions. Filling out the secure form allows us to safely contact you about your personal account information.

2. William R Pippine

I received the April Update via e-mail today, 4/17/2020. It says that your offices will be closed until March 30, 2020. At that was 17 days ago, I assume that your offices are open. That is good news as I assume that mean that other places in New York State that were closed in violation of The Constitution of the Untied States of America will be open when I fly back to Buffalo, tomorrow, April 18, 2020

To continue to protect the health and safety of our members, retirees, and employees, NYSLRS consultation sites will remain closed until further notice. Our Call Center is open (1-866-805-0990; 518-474-7736 in the Albany Area) and NYSLRS staff continue to conduct business. Please refer to our website if you need additional information or assistance.

3. Geraldine Witkowski

I have tried many times to set up a retirement account on-line without success. Even had someone from your office talk me through it and it worked at that time but when I tried to access the account it did not work! I give up!

We’re sorry you could not reach us. Your message is important to us and we have sent you a private message in response.

4. William R Pippine

I need to file a form to get the correct federal withholding from my pension. Where can I pick that form. I don’t have access to a printer.

To change your federal withholding, you’ll need the NYSLRS W-4P form. You can have the W-4P form mailed to you using our automated phone system. Call us toll-free at 1-866-805-0990, press 2 and follow the prompts.

5. Donna M Klima

I am a member receiving retirement benefits and wanted to know if NYS offers any health insurance options.

NYSLRS does not provide health insurance for its retirees.

For New York State retirees and some municipal retirees, the New York State Department of Civil Service administers the New York State Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP). To learn more, please visit the Department of Civil Service’s website at http://www.cs.ny.gov, call them at 1-800-833-4344 or 518-457-5754, or email them at pio@cs.ny.gov.

If you retired from a public employer that did not participate in NYSHIP, your former employer’s benefits administrator may be able to help you.

6. Susan C Sweeney

How do I make sure that all my paperwork is in order for my 6/30/2020 retirement date? Will your office notify me if I am missing something?

NYSLRS sends a confirmation letter after we receive a retirement application. Your letter will confirm your retirement date and receipt of any documents you sent with your application, such as proof of your birth date, and include any forms you may still need to complete.

To inquire about the status of your application, please email our customer service representatives using the secure email form on our website. Filling out the secure form allows them to safely contact you about your personal account information. You can also call them at 1-866-805-0990 (518-474-7736 in the Albany, New York area), press 2, then follow the prompts.

For more information about the retirement process, please read our booklet How Do I Prepare to Retire?

7. Michelle Townsend

I requested to withdrawal my retirement while I was out on leave of absence and in April I spoke with someone who told me it takes 12 weeks and I just called now to check the status and the recording said the processing time is 5 months! Is this accurate, 5 months really?

The NYSLRS Call Center is the best source for estimates of current processing times.

To speak with a customer service representative, please call 1-866-805-0990 or email them using the secure email form on our website. Filling out the secure form allows them to safely contact you about your personal account information.