Estimate Your Pension in Retirement Online

How much will your pension be?

Fortunately, it is now easier than ever to find out. Most NYSLRS members can create their own pension estimate in minutes using Retirement Online.

Retirement Online estimate is based on the most up-to-date account information we have on file for you. You can enter different retirement dates to see how those choices would affect your benefit. When you’re done, you can print your pension estimate or save it for future reference.

estimate your pension in Retirement Online

How to Create Your Pension Estimate

Before you can use the pension calculator, you will need a Retirement Online account. Once you sign in, go to the My Account Summary section of your account homepage and click the “Estimate my Pension Benefit” button.

You can enter an estimated retirement date (or retirement age), your current salary and expected annual salary increases. You can also include any service credit you plan to purchase and anticipated lump sum payment for unused vacation. If you add the birthdate for a beneficiary, you’ll also see the estimated monthly payment you would receive if you were to choose a pension payment option that provides a benefit for a survivor.

Any pension estimate you generate with the online calculator would be an approximation of your potential benefit; it is not a guarantee that you’ll receive a certain amount when you retire.

Alternative Ways to Get an Estimate

While more than 90 percent of NYSLRS members (most Tier 3 through 6 members) can use the benefit calculator, some members should have NYSLRS generate their benefit estimate. For example, if you recently transferred your membership to NYSLRS or are covered under certain special plans, it would be better if NYSLRS created an estimate for you.

The system will notify you if your estimate cannot be completed using Retirement Online’s estimate tool. Please contact us to request a pension estimate if you receive this notification. Also, if you are in Tiers 1 through 4, you can still use the Quick Calculator on the NYSLRS website. The Quick Calculator generates estimates based on information you provide.

39 thoughts on “Estimate Your Pension in Retirement Online

1. James Meakim

I believe I will have 30 years service time on 06/30/2022. I’ve heard, if I retire after 06/30, 07/01, I will have to wait another month for my pension check. If I retire before 06/30, 06/29, I won’t have reached 30 years. Is reaching 30 years important? Is there much of a difference? How much different will my pension be before or after 06/30? Is it worth waiting the extra month?

Yours is a unique situation. We recommend that you contact one of our customer representatives for account-specific questions regarding your retirement date(s). Please contact our Call Center at 1-866-805-0990 (or 518-474-7736 in the Albany, NY area), press 2, then follow the prompts. You can also email our representatives by using our secure email form. Filling out the secure form allows them to safely contact you about your personal account information.

2. John

A) 0 local offices open

B) 0 HR support at my place of employment (other than them directing you to DYI it online

C) Limited days and hours to use the online “service”

After 33yrs of dedicated service, practically maxing out on sick, AL and comp time, and now faced with a very serious and debilitating medical condition, Im relegated to seeking information in a public forum with others who may be in the same or similar situation???

All I can say is- Thank You NYS. but Im not surprised

3. John M

A) 0 local offices open

C) Limited days and hours to use the online “service”

All I can say is- Thank You NYS. but Im not surprised

4. THOMAS WISER

anyone have any idea why a online service would be closed at 9:00 PM, some people actually work for a living and are not able to log on in normal hours!!!!!

Over time, we will be expanding Retirement Online’s hours of availability. Currently, Retirement Online is generally available from 7:00 am to 9:30 pm EST/EDT on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 7:00 am to 6:00 pm EST/EDT on Tuesdays, and 6:00 am to 11:00 pm EST/EDT on Saturdays and Sundays. If Retirement Online will not be available during its regular hours, we will list any changes on our Retirement Online sign in page.

5. Thomas Skummer

I have been retired for 30 months and have been receiving an estimated monthly retirement amount. The retirement amount that I am receiving does not take into account the value of my accrued vacation time or the accrued sick time when I retired. When I contacted the retirement system, they said that these two components would have an insignificant affect on my monthly retirement amount and that they do not know when these recalculations will be made. I can tell you that the amount of money that the retirement system is holding from me is not insignificant. What are my options when the retirement system refuses to address my problem?

We’re sorry for the trouble you are having. Your message is important to us and we have sent you a private message in response.

6. Bob

Is there a way to see the pension calculator if you are not actually employed as a teacher in any tier yet? People might like to know what the calculations look like before they become a teacher.

We cannot make a prediction. If a State retirement incentive program is approved by both houses of the Legislature and signed into law by the Governor, NYSLRS will notify your employer and provide details for our members on our website and on social media.

2. Mary Jane

The ERI was not offered to the teachers or UFT. Does that mean it will not be offered to NYC employees also?

If you are a New York City employee, please refer to your retirement system or employer for incentive information.

2. Tommy D

Im going to 53 i just pasted my 34th year in Tier 4 my FAS is around $72k any idea what my month pyment
        would be? when i turn 55 and retire (36)years
        of service..

Most members can use the benefit calculator in Retirement Online to estimate their pensions based on information we have on file for them. Most members in Tiers 1- 4 can also use our Quick Calculator, which generates estimates based on information you provide.

If you have account-specific questions or need help with Retirement Online, please contact the NYSLRS Call Center at 1-866-805-0990 (or 518-474-7736 in the Albany, New York area). Press 2 and follow the prompts. You can also email them using our secure email form. Filling out the secure form allows them to safely contact you about your personal account information.

2. Barb Williams

69% of the average of your 3 highest years – and if the last three are the highest, up to 30 days (value vacation time divided by 3 add to your average salary and then add any comp time those last three years again divided by three) so if 70k average past three years plus appx 2,700 vacation and assume only 1,000 each year of comp, add another 1k. so FAS would be $73,692 multiplied 69% = $50,848. Note a little more goes into your multiplier for unused sick time as well. Note: your vacation and comp and unused sick time is going to lag by 20 months or so right now, but when the FAS is completed, you will get the back pay….and pay more in income tax to the feds as a result. You can open a case with them online and see when your employer provided those numbers to NYS so you can nail in how much more should be ADDED to your base pension amount above and beyond salary time multiplier. I assumed you are A15 ERS employee for this example.

7. Ron Richardson

Can I get an estimate online if I have a DRO? If not, any plans to put that feature in? I’m sure there are a lot of NYSLRS members with DROs.

Unfortunately, Retirement Online is not able to create a pension estimate that takes into account the terms of your DRO.

To request an estimate that shows the impact of your DRO, please send a signed letter to:

NYSLRS
      Estimates Bureau
      110 State Street
      Albany, NY 12244-0001

Please provide your planned retirement date. You can also attach the letter to our secure email form. Filling out the secure form allows them to safely contact you about your personal account information.

8. EMPLOYEE

If I have 17.5 years of service and move to a different line of work (Not in the retirement system) can I wait to collect my pension? What will happen if I decide to go back into public employment later on? Kind of just take a break for a while? Will I be able to go back and get my time started up again? I am Tier 4.

If you chose to leave public employment, you would be able to apply for a vested retirement benefit once you turn 55. However, leaving public payroll before you are eligible to retire may affect your eligibility for certain death benefits and health benefits.

If you are considering leaving public payroll before you are eligible to retire, we suggest you email our customer service representatives using the secure email form on our website to ask how it would affect your pension benefits. Filling out the secure form allows them to safely contact you about your personal account information.

You may also wish to speak to your health benefits administrator to find out how going off payroll would affect any post-retirement health benefits you may be entitled to.

9. Heith Provost

If I’m currently in tier 6 and want to retire at 58, which will put me at 22 years total, do I have to wait until 63 to collect or can I collect at 58 with my reduced rate?

Tier 6 members in regular retirement plans are eligible for a service retirement benefit when they reach age 55 and have ten or more years of service credit. For the full retirement benefit, you must be 63 years old at retirement. If you retire before age 63, your pension will be reduced.

Most Tier 2 – 6 members can use Retirement Online to create a NYSLRS pension estimate based on the salary and service information we have on file for you. Go to the ’My Account Summary’ section of your Retirement Online Account Homepage and click the “Estimate my Pension Benefit” button.

When you join NYSLRS, you are assigned to a tier based on your date of membership. Please visit our website for more information about tiers.

1. Tracy

I was a tier 4 but left that position with only 2 years of credit. 18 years later, I am in new job which placed me back into nys retirement systems, but now in tier 6. I was told I should have been placed back into tier 4.

If you had a previous membership with NYSLRS, you may be eligible to reinstate it. You can apply for tier reinstatement using Retirement Online. If you don’t already have an account, go to the Sign In page and click the “Sign Up” link under the “Customer Sign In” button.

You can also complete and submit an Application to Reinstate a Former Membership (RS5506).

If you have questions about tier reinstatement or if you need help with Retirement Online, please call our customer service representatives at 1-866-805-0990 (or 518-474-7736 in the Albany, NY area), press 2, then follow the prompts.

We are not aware of any retirement incentive for NYSLRS members that was approved in the 2021-22 New York State budget.

We can’t answer your question because there is no incentive to comment on. If a State retirement incentive program is approved by both houses of the Legislature and signed into law by the Governor, NYSLRS will notify your employer and provide the kinds of details you’re looking for on our website and on social media.

10. Marcus

I need an income verification letter that has been signed so I can get it Apostille. I need to submit this to a foreign consulate. The income verification letter that you can print out on Retirement Online is not signed. I tried calling and can’t get through to a live person. I submitted my request through “contact us”. I was very specific as to what I needed and why. After a week of waiting I was sent an unsigned form. The exact same income verification form I could have printed out myself! This is extremely frustrating.

We apologize for the trouble you had trying to reach our Call Center. Your message is important to us and we have sent you a private message in response.

11. E Johnson

Hey NYSLRS…can you make your font any larger? You’re writing to folks of retirement age…and we can’t even read the message with the font so small.
    E. Johnson

Most computers allow you to adjust the font size of text you are reading online. With many computers, you can increase the font by simultaneously pressing the Control key and plus sign.